Wednesday, November 09, 2005

More on torture

While I don't realy care very much about perception, I do care very much about appropriate levels of tranparency. I think having a stated policy about torture by intelligence operatives (which no administration has previously commited to, as far as I know), is better than saying "we don't do it, but we don't guarrantee that we won't do it".
9/11 shook the foundations of our democracy. It absolutely required us to re-analyze everything we know, lest the next terrorist attack be a nuke rather than a couple planes. Hopefully banning torture explicitly (with solid definitions of precisely what that is, not some fuzzy UN definition which only the US is required to observe) will be an acceptable option, but I think it's probably still too early to make that call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home