Wednesday, June 22, 2011

This isn't science...

Little bits at a time, I make my way through Gore's 'article'. It's hard to keep my lunch down.

Comparing skepticism in his beliefs/opinions/'facts' to racism...what is this, amateur hour? Encouraging people who know nothing to be abrasive and/or abusive in every day life? Thanks a lot.
The entire *problem* of 'global warming' is that people who don't know what the heck they're talking about express their opinions as fact.
This is a question for legislators, not a question for activists. We have a *representative* democracy for this very purpose.
If I have a problem that's difficult to understand (effects of pollution on climate *definitely* fits here), I convince lawmakers. If I can't convince them myself, I find scientists those lawmakers trust (who *can* understand the issues) and have those scientists convince the lawmakers.

I *don't* take my case to the ignorant public, because then I'm just attempting to manipulate the public (who has *no* way to evaluate for themselves whether I'm right) into serving my purpose.

At *no* time should scientists (of which Gore admittedly isn't one, but he seems to like playing one on TV) suggest that people stop thinking for themselves. That is exactly the opposite of science.


It's guys like Gore who get students in my class to fish for statements from me supporting global warming. When I tell them that I had reviewed what their physics textbook says about the matter and that I agree with everything said there and would say no more ... they shake their heads in disbelief and disappointment. Why would they do this?????? Maybe the textbook is a little to honest about it, but this isn't religion. It's a regime of thought which is completely orthogonal to faith. In science we require publicly provable evidence and reject ideas which are not openly and reproducibly falsifiable.

I honestly don't feel competent to give an opinion on whether global warming is man made.
I'm not even sure I know enough to be anything other than 'lay-scientist skeptical'.
I've reviewed a lot of what people have said, but my niche was laser-plasma interactions, not atmospheric sciences.
I could spend probably less than a year reviewing literature and come up with an informed opinion on the subject, but only if I dedicated a serious amount of time to it.
I'm completely floored by the sacred cow that global warming has become.

It's just incredible that people would follow Gore's advice here. Yet they do. It's not science, it's bullying.


So how can we make it happen? How can we as individuals make a difference? In five basic ways:
First, become a committed advocate for solving the crisis. You can start with something simple: Speak up whenever the subject of climate arises. When a friend or acquaintance expresses doubt that the crisis is real, or that it's some sort of hoax, don't let the opportunity pass to put down your personal marker. The civil rights revolution may have been driven by activists who put their lives on the line, but it was partly won by average Americans who began to challenge racist comments in everyday conversations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home